Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wellness Writer: Bipolar Recovery (Part 1)

Wellness Writer: Bipolar Recovery (Part 1)

Susan has a great blog article here - and a few very important questions. I shall try to answer them. Thanks for making me think Susan!

How do you feel about the possibility of bipolar/depression recovery?
I think recovery is a strong word. I think this is something I will have to live with the rest of my life, and there are ways to deal with it. But the word recovery to me implies cure - like when you recover from a cold, the cold is gone. Not so much with this. It can be better, it can be worse, and medication, diet, exercise etc all help or hinder that, but it's there.

Do you have a wellness team in your corner?
I do. I am really lucky. My parents to an extent - they don't totally understand it, but they love me and want to have a good relationship with me. I have my doctors, both my therapist and my GP and they are a husband and wife team so I feel like my bases are covered. I have a range of friends who help in various ways, from casually asking what medications I am on, when I take them, what they do, etc. And friends who are completely understanding when I can't do stuff. And friends who take my calls and texts at 3 in the morning. And another friend who is also bi polar and boy howdy does she get it. And they all tell me they love me. And sometimes I even believe them.

Are you getting the help you need?
Yes. We're fine tuning my medication. Cognitive/behavioural therapy twice a month. This blog. Books and magazines and articles on the internet. Other blogs. I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment