Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Finding the Trigger

I feel all weird and wonky tonight and I didn't feel this way earlier so am trying to figure out what set me off.
I left work and walked to the streetcar stop, over to Spadina, down to Union, go get my train ticket for my visit home next weekend. I got a seat on the streetcar and was happy to be out of the rain (no jacket, no umbrella).
So we're fine. Was quick enough to think of the Spadina car so I didn't have to take the subway. (I hate the subway. I will do anything I can to stay above ground).
Crowded like rush hour in the Union concourse level. I sail through - waitressing gives you the skill of being able to seamlessly float through crowds, no matter which way they are going, you don't stop and neither does anyone else. It's lovely, choreographed without the need for rehearsal.
Train ticket price had gone up since I looked at it so needed to go back down to bank machine (I only deal in cash now - that's another post).
Back up to buy my ticket, back down to the concourse - I buy cigarettes - it's not as seamless as before - there's a guy in front of me who not only does he not know the dance, he's SLOW. And doing that fucking veering thing that drives me insane.
Do not pull your golf cart out in front of a race car please.
Okay maybe that's the thin edge of the wedge.
Not very crowded downstairs to get the streetcar, but two people are standing too close to me and they're not in the right spot. And then the guy tries to cut me off while we're getting on the streetcar. I "t-CHUH!" at him and he moves back. It's a dance - don't fuck it up.
Wedge.
Get a seat and continue to read my book. And they announce next stop Spadina - and I look up and for a minute I have NO idea where I am, did I go the wrong way, I don't even recognize the city, let alone the street. I realize where we are, recognize a landmark and try to calm myself down. I will not cry, but I am close.
Wedge.
Calm down. Move to another seat to have some space. Go to hop off at King - dude get OUT of my WAY! IF you don't know where you're going step to the side!
Stop at Fresh and Wild, big discussion with stockboy about how he clearly had the right of way when we collided in the condiments aisle. Another chatty discussion with the cashier.
It's pouring out. I fight with the dilemma - cab for $12 or streetcar for free (metropass)? I decide on cab as I am really getting wet.
LOVELY conversation with my cab driver and I am home safe. And as I unpack my purse I can feel it - and I am moving slowly, deliberately, methodically trying to hang on to something. Twice I say out loud in a sharp voice, "You are fine!"
So I don't know. What made me feel like this? Will ponder on it. But at least I'm paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment