Tuesday, July 14, 2009

MAD Pride

It's MAD Pride week here in Toronto - I think it is other places too. Oh it is. From their website -

The Mad Pride Organizing Committee is a group of psychiatric survivors/consumers and friends within the City of Toronto. We have gathered yearly over the past 16 years to organize and host pride and recognition activity for a diverse community of psychiatric and consumer survivors. Administration for this activity is managed by The Friendly Spike Theatre Band, with assistance from Parkdale Community Legal Services, Parkdale Activity Recreation Centre, and Soundtimes Support Services. This year, July 13th - 19th 2009 has been officially proclaimed Mad Pride Week in the City of Toronto. Mad Pride was also celebrating across the world in North America, Europe, and Africa on the same day linking mental health system users around the globe. This year the main event will include a “Bed Push”, which is a parade that involves the crowd dressing up in pajamas and pushing hospital beds down the street. The idea is to promote community development for mental health system users and create awareness about mental health issues.

Hmmm. I don't like the Bed Push. Doesn't that reinforce stereotypes? Isn't the pride part supposed to be that you are capable of being a functioning member of a society you contribute to?

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member."

So far the thing I like about it is that there are articles in the Globe and Mail about mental health issues (useful or not, they're at least there) and books about mental health are out loud and proud this week at the library, as opposed to having to search for them and put them on hold.

What are we reading today?

"Finding your BiPolar Muse: How to Master Depressive Droughts and Manic Floods and Access Your Creative Power". - I think I read this one before. I was manic when I did so I don't remember. It sounds familiar. Five bucks says it's gonna be flaky.

"A Promise of Hope: The Astonishing True Story of a Woman Afflicted With BiPolar Disorder and the Miraculous Treatment That Cured Her". She better not just find God or something or I'll be pissed.

"Women of the Asylum". It's about women who were involuntarily committed usually b their husbands or male relatives between 1840 and 1945.

I'd probably have been committed back then too. It's actually the one I'm most looking forward to.

I'm home sick today. I've hit critical mass on my lithium and the nausea side effect has kicked in. I can work from home - I just need to be in my pajamas while I do it.

I suppose I'm one of those people that keeps the "stigma" alive. According to my doctor I am an extrememly high functioning BP 2 person. I have a steady job, work hard, socialize, never been hospitalizedetc etc etc. Most people just think of my as a very busy person.

Other friends I have cannot hold down a job, or get out of bed for days on end.
I feel like that somedays too. But I don't. Because I guess I am lucky enough to have sheer strength of will and you get on with getting on with life, whether you like it or not. It is my greatest strength and greatest weakness.


"I compare myself with my former self, not with others. Not only that, I tend to compare my current self with the best I have been, which is when I have been midly manic. When I am my present "normal" self, I am far removed from when I have been my liveliest, most productive, most intense, most outgoing and effervescent. In sort, for myself, I am a hard act to follow."
— Kay Redfield Jamison

I don't say lithium keeps me stable. I say it keeps me boring.

(this is by NO means an insult or a judgement to those who sometimes can't)

No comments:

Post a Comment