Monday, September 7, 2009

Good and Bad

well the work we did at the retreat was good and valid. And I've been recuperating ever since from two days in the woods.
Nature for me is my container balcony on my garden. I have no sense of direction, and so spent the entire two days - you know that feeling you have trying to get your bearings? I never got them. I was worried about tripping and falling as the terrain was rocks, moss, exposed tree roots - over hill and dale the entire time. The food was the exact type of children's' camp food that triggers me - all simple carbs/pastas. The water tasted disgusting, we were four to a room - in short - everything that triggers me was wholly present. I was nervous and scared and unsure the entire time.
I survived. Moving forward.
Long weekends trigger me and it is one.
My birthday is in less than a week.
There is a friend I am desperately trying to set boundaries with and she is not accepting them.
Rough week.
I am more concerned about how to deal with this friend. She is not a sympathetic person, in that she truly does not understand mental illness. I feel like she wants me to be "the old me" - she only ever saw manic me. We've established she is a remarkably self centred person. Example - my doctor has me on a "no house guests" policy - house guests - specifically her - trigger me. She says she hopes that changes, and I know the only reason she hopes it changes is so that she has a place to stay when she feels like coming to the city. Not because it will indicate I am doing well, or getting better - rather so that she is not inconvenienced.
How do you maintain boundaries with someone who will not accept them? Who doesn't seem to accept that this is who you are now, and things have to change so you can continue to get well? And I feel most strongly, who doesn't seem to register that this illness? Is about me. It is about me getting better. That is what I care about right now, and can only afford to surround myself with people who understand that.

2 comments:

  1. Sue,
    Sometimes, the only way to set boundaries with a friend (or relative) who won't accept them is to put the friendship on the line.

    I've had to say to people, "This is the way it is for me. You can choose to honor this and remain my friend, or you can choose to ignore it, and while I still care deeply for you, I can longer have you in my life until you accept the conditions of our relationship."

    It's as simple and as difficult as that!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    you've said it out loud for me. I know what it is I have to do if need be and that is it. Sometimes you have to hear someone else say it.

    ReplyDelete